LOGO_edited.jpg
  • millymcdowell

Painting Samples

Updated: Jan 11

I've been working with my deadstock fabric to achieve the finish I'm going to use on my garment.

My deadstock cotton drill has finally arrived so today I decided to test how well the acrylic medium dyes the fabric. I started off with a mixture of 1 part paint to 6 parts water. I started off by dropping the paint onto the fabric



I then painted over some of the splashes to see what effect I could create.



This was after letting the splashes 'dry' for 5 minutes.


I then let the other side dry for an hour, before painting over.



Which gave me the effect on the right when dry, the side I left 5 minutes being on the left.



I also tried dripping and painting straight over the drips.



Which gave a similar result when dry.



The side on the right has been given a second coat of the water down paint as it's drying too light at the moment.


I'll next try watering down the paint a lot less and see if I can avoid the lighter colour, but then again I may decide to use this colour when painting the garment. I then need to go over the dried samples with the abstract freehand painted graphics I'm adding.


Over this week I'll put together my fabric samples and decide which direction I want to take after my crit on Friday.


I also have some samples below that I discussed with peers and my tutors which I'm keen to use, as I feel it will be effective in covering the printed design of my garment, but also helps to bring in that dystopian, futuristic, energy to the oversized garments.



12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All